Wednesday, October 13, 2010

First 2 days

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

Great first 2 days, I've seen so much and taken a lot of pictures.  Tuesday my host took the day off work to show me around and we went to several temples, including the imperial palace, Wat Aron, Golden Mountain, the great teak mansion (the largest all teak wood structure in the world, they even used wooden nails - built over 100 years ago), the emerald Buddha, and what is considered to be the most beautiful reclining Buddha in Thailand - it is 15 meters tall and 46 meters long.  Learned a lot.

Today (Wednesday) I took part in a Couchsurfing.org scavenger hunt around Bangkok!  Fitting as it was I wore my Ski to Sea t-shirt and was teamed up with another Swedish girl from Umea!  Lucky for me she had lived in Bangkok before and knew her way around a bit better than me, so it was a lot of fun.   It is definitely confirmed, the Swedes are a great bit of fun!  Afterward we went to meet with quite a few couchsurfers at a bar and had a few beers and met some very interesting and cool people from all over, pair from Texas who have been travelling over a year, some German, Dutch, Czech, Indian, Thai, so many!  I know there are more who I have forgotten.

Tomorrow I will go to Ayutthaya - the ancient capitol and home to a great number of temples and other old cultural relics - it is only 20 baht for the train trip 90km up there and 100 baht to rent a bike for the day to tour around (32 baht = about 1 usd)

So far so good, glad I brought both my big (SLR) and small (point and shoot) cameras though, just wish I had a small backpack to carry things for day trips...oh well, it is still lovely and a great deal of fun.

Still jet lagged, but forcing myself to adjust to the schedule here.  It is 12.20 am and I need to be up by 6 to make the train...maybe I can sleep on the train? Doubt it.

3 comments:

  1. Lou,
    Send me your address and I'll send a small backpack along with your diploma.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this adventure was meant for you so far. How are your language skills coming along? Are you coming across a lot of English speakers?

    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. English speakers are common, or at least bad English speakers. Enough to get by. I've learned a few words and phrases.

    I bought a small, fake Lowe Alpine backpack in Pattaya for about $11. Thanks for the offer, things are pretty cheap here so far and it would probably have cost you more to ship it to me.

    ReplyDelete